Fishy Sugar Beet
(Genetically Modified Organism)
Nicknames: Sweet Beet, Suga Suga, Alpha Vulgaris
Colors: Snow White & Astroturf Green
DNA Mix: Sugar Beet & Great White Shark
Birthplace: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Super Power: Sprays granulated sugar on demand
Natural Sugar isn’t GMO
Natural Sugar Beet
Photo: Don Morishita
Got a sweet tooth? We do, but when processed food makers say their product uses “natural sugar” or simply “sugar” in their sweets, they are lying to you. If you follow food trends, you know people trying to avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup, so “natural sugar” is making a comeback. Unless the sugar is certified organic or made from cane sugar, its most likely coming from GMO Sugar Beets. Nearly the entire US Sugar Beet crop is GMO and therefore sprayed with heavy doses of toxic weed killer. Thats not sweet sounding is it?
What Wikipedia says about Sugar Beets:
Sugar beet, cultivated Beta vulgaris, is a plant whose root contains a high concentration of sucrose. It is grown commercially for sugar production. The sugar beet has a conical, white, fleshy root with a flat crown. The plant consists of the root and a rosette of leaves. Sugar is formed through a process of photosynthesis in the leaves, and it is then stored in the root.
GMO Sugar Beet
In the United States, genetically modified sugar beets are engineered for resistance to glyphosate, a herbicide marketed as Roundup by Monsanto. Glyphosate-resistant sugar beets contain a biosynthetic gene that protects them from the effects of glyphosate when it is applied to the crop as a means to control weeds. In 2005, the US Department of Agriculture-Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (USDA-APHIS) deregulated glyphosate-resistant sugar beets. About 95% of sugar beet acres in the US were planted with glyphosate-resistant seed in 2011.
Recent Blog Entries:
- December 23, 2013: New York Daily News: The ugliest car in the U.S. visits New York City
- November 9, 2013: KOBI NBC5: Fishy Food Fleet Anchors at Natural Grocers to Spread GMO Awareness
- November 1, 2013: Press Release: Fishy Food Cars Announce 6,000 Mile Tri-Coastal Tour
- October 15, 2013: Fishy Sugar Beet wins Car Talk's Ugliest Car Contest!
- October 1, 2013: VOTE FOR FISHY SUGAR BEET!
- September 24, 2013: Are We Eating Fishy Food Cross-Country Tour Documentary
- September 20, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Was Spotted Swimming Down Interstate 80 Last Month
- September 15, 2013: The Cascades Are SWEET
- August 19, 2013: Voice of America: GMO Opponents Take Protest On the Road
- August 14, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Arrives in Seattle
- August 14, 2013: Salt Lake Tribune: Cross-country drive aims to show there’s something ‘fishy’ about GMOs
- August 13, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Swims Around Salt Lake City
- August 12, 2013: The Fishy Fleet in Cheyenne, Wyoming
- August 12, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Departs Denver
- August 10, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Arrives in Denver
- August 8, 2013: Photos from Cooperation Operation in South Chicago, IL
- August 7, 2013: The Fishy Fleet in Columbus, OH
- August 7, 2013: Man on the Street DC: [VIDEO] Are We Eating Fishy Food? 2013 Summer Kickoff Tour
- August 6, 2013: Photos from the Fishy Tailgate in Pittsburgh, PA
- August 6, 2013: Roll Call: Group Kicks Off ‘Fishy’ Tour
- August 6, 2013: Video of the Fishy Fleet Driving Down the Pennsylvania Turnpike
- August 5, 2013: Video of Fishy Sugar Beet outside of the U.S. Capitol
- August 5, 2013: FishyFood fleet in front of the Capitol!
- July 31, 2013: Huffington Post Green: Fishy Art Cars Bring Anti-GMO Message On Cross-Country Demonstration, From Washington, D.C., To Washington State (PHOTOS)
- July 25, 2013: DC Fox 5: Vehicles Pushing Message For Genetically Modified Food (GMO) Labeling
- July 25, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Swam Through Adams Morgan Today
- July 24, 2013: Fishy Sugar Beet Knows How To Turn Heads
- July 10, 2013: A Fishy Family Portrait
- June 22, 2013: Just something I found attached to a car in the 2400 block of 9th St. NW
- May 24, 2013: Fishy Sugar Beet Spotted on the Highway