(Genetically Modified Organism)
Nicknames: Corn Fish, Fishy Corn, The O.G. GMO, Starlink, Messy Maize
Colors: Bright Yellow & Astroturf Green
DNA Mix: Corn & Great White Shark
Birthplace: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Super Power: Can switch between sweet & popcorn
GMO Corn is not Natural
Corn, otherwise known as maize, is a large grain plant domesticated by indigenous peoples in Mesoamerica in prehistoric times. The leafy stalk produces ears which contain the grain, which are seeds called kernels. The Olmec and Mayans cultivated it in numerous varieties throughout Mesoamerica, cooked, ground or processed through nixtamalization. Beginning about 2500 BC, the crop spread through much of the Americas. The region developed a trade network based on surplus and varieties of corn crops. After European contact with the Americas in the late 15th and early 16th centuries, explorers and traders carried corn back to Europe and introduced it to other countries. Corn spread to the rest of the world because of its ability to grow in diverse climates. Sugar-rich varieties called sweet corn are usually grown for human consumption, while field corn varieties are used for animal feed and as chemical feedstocks.
Unless you’re buying certified organic corn, most likely what you find on the shelf at the supermarket in genetically altered corn. GMO corn was developed in a lab and not through traditional breeding. While the food label might say the food is “natural,” it is not. It doesn’t matter if it’s yellow corn or sweet corn, there are over two dozen types of GMO corn legally being grown in the US. Most processed foods contain corn, corn sugar, and High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS). In small quantities this syrup is likely harmless to eat, but because the American diet is full of processed foods rich in HFCS, we have high rates of diabetes. Think your pancake syrup is made from a maple tree? In the US it’s most likely corn syrup with artificial flavors. All this processed corn is making Americans obese and is not healthy for kids.
In other words, you’re buying more than you bargained for. In a recent study rats were fed GMO corn for the course their lifetime and resulted in cancers rates alarmingly higher than rats fed a non-GMO corn diet. Due to subsidies provided by the US government, more than 80 million acres of corn are grown per year in the United States, making it the top agricultural crop produced. About 20% of this corn is for export and at least 90% of it is GMO.
There are two varieties of genetically modified (GM) corn: varieties resistant to glyphosate herbicides and those that have been altered to express the bacterial Bt toxin, which is poisonous to certain insect pests such as the European corn borer. Beginning in 1996, Monsanto’s glyphosate resistant corn has been lurking in America’s food supply.
Recent Blog Entries:
- November 9, 2013: KOBI NBC5: Fishy Food Fleet Anchors at Natural Grocers to Spread GMO Awareness
- November 1, 2013: Press Release: Fishy Food Cars Announce 6,000 Mile Tri-Coastal Tour
- October 28, 2013: AP Photo of Fishy Corn & Fishy Apple
- September 24, 2013: Are We Eating Fishy Food Cross-Country Tour Documentary
- September 20, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Was Spotted Swimming Down Interstate 80 Last Month
- September 18, 2013: Interview with Yes On 522 Volunteer, Fishy Car Driver Florence Vincent
- September 5, 2013: Nisqually Valley News: ‘Poppy’ Brings Attention to I-522
- August 19, 2013: Voice of America: GMO Opponents Take Protest On the Road
- August 14, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Arrives in Seattle
- August 14, 2013: Salt Lake Tribune: Cross-country drive aims to show there’s something ‘fishy’ about GMOs
- August 13, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Swims Around Salt Lake City
- August 12, 2013: The Fishy Fleet in Cheyenne, Wyoming
- August 12, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Departs Denver
- August 10, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Arrives in Denver
- August 8, 2013: Photos from Cooperation Operation in South Chicago, IL
- August 7, 2013: The Fishy Fleet in Columbus, OH
- August 7, 2013: Man on the Street DC: [VIDEO] Are We Eating Fishy Food? 2013 Summer Kickoff Tour
- August 6, 2013: Photos from the Fishy Tailgate in Pittsburgh, PA
- August 6, 2013: Roll Call: Group Kicks Off ‘Fishy’ Tour
- August 6, 2013: Video of the Fishy Fleet Driving Down the Pennsylvania Turnpike
- August 5, 2013: FishyFood fleet in front of the Capitol!
- August 5, 2013: WUSA9: Fishy Cars tour to get genetically altered food labeled
- July 31, 2013: Huffington Post Green: Fishy Art Cars Bring Anti-GMO Message On Cross-Country Demonstration, From Washington, D.C., To Washington State (PHOTOS)
- July 25, 2013: DC Fox 5: Vehicles Pushing Message For Genetically Modified Food (GMO) Labeling
- July 25, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Swam Through Adams Morgan Today
- July 10, 2013: A Fishy Family Portrait
- April 21, 2013: Here's a bit of (Fishy) Corn
- October 27, 2012: Fishy Corn in California