(Genetically Modified Organism)
Nicknames: Jonny Appleshark, Never-Never-Brown, Artic Crabapple
Colors: Bright Red & Streaks of Golden Yellow
DNA Mix: Apple & Goldfish
Birthplace: Summerland, British Columbia, Canada
Super Power: Can turn into sauce instantly
Natural Apples Are Not GMO
If you love apples, you ought to be concerned about what biotech companies want to do to them. They are trying to develop traits that will make it possible for apples to not brown after they have been sliced or sat on the shelf for months. While currently there are no GMO apples in the supermarket as they are not approved for use, they could be coming soon if some companies get their way. Unlabeled GMO Apples could result in consumers not knowing if their apple was just sliced or sliced days or weeks earlier. Fast food companies want to sell sliced apples that are shrink-wrapped. The unintended consequences of changing the DNA to reduce browning could be allergies not previous known to humans. Don’t mess with our apples!
What Wikipedia says about Apples:
The Apple is the pomaceous fruit of the apple tree, species Malus domestica in the rose family (Rosaceae). It is one of the most widely cultivated tree fruits, and the most widely known of the many members of genus Malus that are used by humans.
The Apple tree originated in Central Asia, where its wild ancestor, Malus sieversii, is still found today. Apples have been grown for thousands of years in Asia and Europe, and were brought to North America by European colonists.
There are more than 7,500 known cultivars of apples, resulting in a range of desired characteristics. Different cultivars are bred for various tastes and uses, including cooking, fresh eating and cider production. Domestic apples are generally propagated by grafting, although wild apples grow readily from seed.
The genetically modified (GM) “Arctic Apples” are varieties of apples that contain a nonbrowning trait developed by Okanagan Specialty Fruits Inc. of Summerland, British Columbia, Canada. Gene silencing is used to turn down the expression of polyphenol oxidase (PPO), which prevents the apples from browning over time. Golden Delicious and Granny Smith apples were the first varieties chosen for this genetic modification but their cultivation has not been deregulated by the U.S. government and are currently unavailable for purchase. Non-browning apples allow apple sellers to keep the apples on the shelves longer but do not provide the consumer any added nutritional benefits.
Recent Blog Entries:
- November 9, 2013: KOBI NBC5: Fishy Food Fleet Anchors at Natural Grocers to Spread GMO Awareness
- November 1, 2013: Press Release: Fishy Food Cars Announce 6,000 Mile Tri-Coastal Tour
- October 28, 2013: AP Photo of Fishy Corn & Fishy Apple
- September 24, 2013: Are We Eating Fishy Food Cross-Country Tour Documentary
- September 20, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Was Spotted Swimming Down Interstate 80 Last Month
- September 12, 2013: Watching the Sunset
- September 12, 2013: Time for some Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream!
- August 19, 2013: Voice of America: GMO Opponents Take Protest On the Road
- August 14, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Arrives in Seattle
- August 14, 2013: Salt Lake Tribune: Cross-country drive aims to show there’s something ‘fishy’ about GMOs
- August 13, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Swims Around Salt Lake City
- August 12, 2013: The Fishy Fleet in Cheyenne, Wyoming
- August 12, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Departs Denver
- August 10, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Arrives in Denver
- August 8, 2013: Photos from Cooperation Operation in South Chicago, IL
- August 8, 2013: Pajama Party at Monsanto's HQ
- August 7, 2013: The Fishy Fleet in Columbus, OH
- August 7, 2013: Man on the Street DC: [VIDEO] Are We Eating Fishy Food? 2013 Summer Kickoff Tour
- August 6, 2013: Photos from the Fishy Tailgate in Pittsburgh, PA
- August 6, 2013: Fishy Apple was spotted in Pittsburgh
- August 6, 2013: Roll Call: Group Kicks Off ‘Fishy’ Tour
- August 5, 2013: FishyFood fleet in front of the Capitol!
- August 1, 2013: Greenwire: Fishy food' cars attract stares, promote GMO labeling
- July 25, 2013: DC Fox 5: Vehicles Pushing Message For Genetically Modified Food (GMO) Labeling
- July 25, 2013: The Fishy Fleet Swam Through Adams Morgan Today
- July 10, 2013: Fishy Apple From Above
- July 10, 2013: A Fishy Family Portrait
- June 26, 2013: Hello from Fishy Apple & Fishy Soy
- June 24, 2013: This guy is floating around Adams Morgan
- June 23, 2013: What?? Thats Fishy Apple!
- June 13, 2013: Up Close with Fishy Apple
- June 12, 2013: Fish + Apple = Fishy Apple!
- June 12, 2013: Washington Post: Mobile Protest Art Draws Gawkers in D.C.